Honestly nobody sees this gear icon anymore.

Cause for a first time user (which this device check is good for) you have
no idea what to click.

And there is also no hint or anything that this tool will help you diagnose
your device settings issues.

Its first time user screen, so of course other will find it annoying.

"pre-conference-room"? could you elaborate?
=> A splash screen before entering the room. Deliberately outside of the
room, you can't hear/see other users/whiteboard or anything yet.

This is like the most common feature other Video Conf (Skype/Teams
anything) use in order to manage device settings, permissions and also
educate usage of the conference software.

Thanks,
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions