Hello Chris,

On 15.10.2016 13:49, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
Hi Chris -

On 15.10.2016 12:34, Chris Green wrote:
I have an owncloud server that I have been using happily from my Linux
systems for a few years.

My wife now want to use my owncloud server from her android tablet for
calendar and contacts.

This appears to be far from straightforward!

First question:-
     Is it better to use the browser interface to owncloud or are there
     specific Android owncloud calendar and contacts apps?
not that I'd be aware of.

However, you resp. your wife would/should/could be fine with Android's
on-board calendar and contacts apps: these can be easily hooked onto
ownCloud with e.g. Marten Gajda's CalDAV-Sync resp. CardDAV-Sync app.
They run silently and equally flawlessly in the background on my Android
tablet.

You can find CardDAV-Sync here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.carddav.Sync (to
be paid for)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.carddav.sync (free)

Difference according to the description is:

"The paid version of CardDAV-Sync equals the free version except that it
syncs more fields. Visit my website for details.

Please uninstall the free version before you install the paid one (and
vice versa)."

And CalDAV-Sync here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.lib

The current total is 4,49 EUR - IMHO worth every cent.
An alternative to using CalDAV-sync and CardDAV-sync is DAVDroid. It syncs both with just one account setup. The only issue I had with that is that it wouldn't recognize my self signed nonCA certificate. I'm using https to connect to my ownCloud and made the certificate myself. I had to redo the certificate as a CA-certificate (changing it in all the configuration files where it was pointed to) and import it in my Android device in order to make it digest it. It was quite a bit of work and googling around and I couldn't reproduce it now without redoing the same googling. So I don't know if you use https, if you want to go through the exercise. Advantage is, it's free.

Second question:-
     Is there any 'Help' for the browser interface on Android, it
     doesn't seem work the same as the browser interface from Linux.
     We couldn't (for example) work out how to create a new event in
     the calendar, just tapping a date does nothing.
Can't tell - never used the ownCloud web interface with my Android browser.

Third question:-
     Where does any created calendar or contacts get saved?  There's a
     calendar with a couple of events (we don't really know how we
     created them) in owncloud but I can't find any trace of
     corresponding files on my server.  I *can* see my own calendar and
     contacts files.
Wouldn't calendar or contact data sit in the *SQL database rather than
in specific files? I wonder what your calendar and contacts files would
look like...

Best,

        Carsten