Hi Russel,
   When recreating the table, does it complain of a TABLE_ALREADY_EXIST
exception?

    If possible, can you please confirm if you see the table 'DEV_HET_MEF'
from the zookeeper client ( zkcli.sh)
      a )   hbase zkcli -server <host>:<port>
      b)    ls /hbase/table/
      If so, you can remove it by running rmr /hbase/table/DEV_HET_MEF

Also ,can you please let me know which version of Phoenix are you using to
help see if I can reproduce the problem.

Regards
Ravi