FWIW internally at Salesforce we also patch the HBase and Hadoop poms to
support our own internal 'light forks'. Its really not a big deal to manage
- a couple of jenkins jobs (one to automate, one to track open source
changes and ensure your patch(es) still work, etc) and you are good to go.

I imagine this is also what various distributors are doing for their forks
as well.

Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates
jyates.github.com