Maybe "pick on" didn't get close enough to what I was after.

> Maybe this is something I can fix. If I were to add the
cloudera/hortonworks maven repos, and then add some supported options for
hadoop beyond 1/2, that would pretty much do it, right?

I doubt it, because v4 and master branches probably won't compile against
either, certainly not against CDH 5.1, their HBase releases are out of step
and stale with respect to the latest Apache HBase 0.98 and Apache Phoenix 4
releases.

Getting back to my point, it's unfair in my opinion to expect the upstream
volunteer Apache projects to track all of the commercial options and the
vagaries of their arbitrary code freezes and "curated" additional patches.
It's unfair to expect Salesforce to fund such an effort, unless Salesforce
has somehow gone into the Hadoop distribution business. Certainly I am not
speaking on behalf of Salesforce or anyone else here. On the other hand, I
think it would be totally reasonable to request your favorite vendor
address Phoenix related issues with *their* derivative distributions.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)