For the usage example that you provided when you write data how does the
values of id_1, id_2 and other_key vary?
I assume id_1 and id_2 remain the same while other_key is monotonically
increasing, and thats why the table is salted.
If you create the salt bucket only on id_2 then wouldn't you run into
region server hotspotting during writes?

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:02 PM, Jaanai Zhang <cloud.pos...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understander your purpose. According to your proposal, it
> seems that can't achieve.  You need a hash partition, However,  Some things
> need to clarify that HBase is a range partition engine and the salt buckets
> were used to avoid hotspot, in other words, HBase as a storage engine can't
> support hash partition.

>    Jaanai Zhang
>    Best regards!
>

> Gerald Sangudi <gsang...@23andme.com> 于2018年9月13日周四 下午11:32写道:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Any thoughts or feedback on this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gerald
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Gerald Sangudi <gsang...@23andme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> We have a requirement for salting based on partial, rather than full,
>>> rowkeys. My colleague Mike Polcari has identified the requirement and
>>> proposed an approach.
>>>
>>> I found an already-open JIRA ticket for the same issue:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-4757. I can provide more
>>> details from the proposal.
>>>
>>> The JIRA proposes a syntax of SALT_BUCKETS(col, ...) = N, whereas Mike
>>> proposes SALT_COLUMN=col or SALT_COLUMNS=col, ... .
>>>
>>> The benefit at issue is that users gain more control over partitioning,
>>> and this can be used to push some additional aggregations and hash joins
>>> down to region servers.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any go-ahead / thoughts / guidance / objections /
>>> feedback. I'd like to be sure that the concept at least is not
>>> objectionable. We would like to work on this and submit a patch down the