Owen,

There would be significant "unwanted side-effects". You would be
taking on a very large burden trying to come up with a corresponding
client version of Phoenix which would still work against the newer
coprocessors that you are trying to deploy. Phoenix doesn't provide
any guarantee of compatibility for more than a few versions between
client and server.

Would suggest that you move to HDP 3.1.0 if you want a newer version of Phoenix.