It's worth pointing out that Pig 0.9.2 also runs quickly; we only see the degradation with Pig 0.10.0.

The degradation in performance seems to have a knee as 4 or 5 conditionals works as expected but as presented, the script takes about 6 minutes at the GRUNT> prompt after hitting enter; before any Hadoop execution.

-Clay