Ok, I'm back.

I think I'm on to something.. I checked the endorsed folder and found
several .jar files. I've experimented and I've found the .jar that is giving
me the problem is xercesImpl.jar. If I remove that one, my code now reads
and extracts the information, unfortunately I need that .jar for the other
part of the webservice (not sure which, since I have only updated the excel
loader process) to effectively upload the information. Guess I just need to
find a way around (or update the process).

Thanks guys.