On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Murphy, Mark wrote:
I am sure you all know this. But the problem increases as the number of styles grows. In looking at the code, I am convinced that the problem can be found in the fact that when borders are drawn, the cell style is retrieved, the border is applied, and all styles are searched for a matching style. I one is not found, then a new one is created

This is the bit where I'm loosing you. Surely you create a dozen or so styles at the start of creating your workbook, with the various colours and borders that you want, then you simply apply them to your cells as you work through creating your workbook. You shouldn't need to be creating styles as you go, adding various bits of borders in to them.

Styles in Excel are, due to how the file format works, scoped at the workbook level and not the cell level. You shouldn't therefore be creating styles as you go, or you'll run out of available styles!

Nick