I added example code and output per Nick's suggestion.  I didn't do
anything fancy in terms of converting things like color indexes to text
names or RGB values, but it does show how to evaluate which rules apply to
a given cell, and having multiple rules apply, with possibly
conflicting/overriding formatting.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/examples/src/org/apache/poi/ss/examples/ConditionalFormats.java