> RoboHelp (commercial), is popular.  I think it got acquired
> by macromedia..
>
> Bill

Actually, RoboHelp kind of sucks for real HTML output :-). It hasn't been
updated in several years, and it's relatively overpriced.

> I want to create html help for my Shale application and would
> appreciate some guidance, as I have never done html help
> before. What I would like to do is to have a link (or button)
> that the user clicks that then opens a smaller browser window
> within the current browser window that then goes to the
> appropriate section of the help file. We use Firefox.
>
> Any recommendations on software that generates html help,
> either open source or commercial?

I'd go with Innovasys HelpStudio, MadCap Flare (written by former RoboHelp
developers), or maybe ComponentOne Doc-ToHelp.  I believe MadCap uses XML,
so you could run a stylesheet to do additional transformations for
integration with your JSF app.

> What is the correct way to implement multiple language html
> help files?

All of these tools let you author the content, store it one a single format,
and can output to HTML, PDF, etc. Usually you can also integrate them into
your build process.

> Are there any Faces components that are used to display help?

Not that I know of, but you could integrate pure HTML quite easily. And the
tools really excell at allowing you to organize your help.

Kito D. Mann ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info