From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Craig
McClanahan
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:40 AM
To: user@shale.apache.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CLAY: Using clay to import file in remoting method

On 12/6/06, Hermod Opstvedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think we need to give this a good hard thought. What you (if I read you
> right) are saying in essence is that Shale/Clay and Ajax will not work.

You are not understanding Gary correctly.  What you are trying to do, it
seems, is based on incorrect expectations.

With regards to JSF and AJAX, there are two fundamental paradigms that can
be addressed:

* Keep the JSF component tree up to date with respect to dynamic
  changes that happen because of asynchronous interactions.

* Ignore the JSF component tree, and just serve the asynchronous
  requests.

You seem to be expecting the former, and blaming Clay because this doesn't
happen.  The reality is that Shale Remoting is focused on the latter case,
not the former.  The fact that synchronizing changes to the component tree
is based on that fact -- using Clay, or JSP, or Facelets, or anything else
as the view tier has nothing to do with it.

There are many solutions to the former use case.  Unfortunately, most of
them seem to be intimately tied to a particular component library.  One that
is not, which pleases me from an architectural viewpoint, is Dynamic Faces (
https://jsf-extensions.dev.java.net), which will work just fine with Shale
functionality.

Please don't assume that Clay is the problem here -- it should NOT have the
responsibility for synchronizing the component trees.  If you need that, use
a framework in concert with Clay that supports this.  If you don't (and
therefore can achieve better overhead because you're not sending dynamically
updated component trees for the entire page back and forth), use Shale
Remoting.

The key -- your goal should be that these decisions (sync versus not, and
which view technology you like) should be independently mixable, not forced
upon you by the choice of one or the other.

Craig

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that DnB NOR cannot
accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the anti virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.