Thanks for the suggestion, Matei.  I've tracked this down to a setting
I had to make on the Driver.  It looks like spark-env.sh has no impact
on the Executor, which confused me for a long while with settings like
SPARK_EXECUTOR_MEMORY.  The only setting that mattered was setting the
system property in the *driver* (in this case pyspark/shell.py) or
using -Dspark.executor.memory in SPARK_JAVA_OPTS *on the master*.  I'm
not sure how this varies from 0.9.0 release, but it seems to work on
SNAPSHOT.