Diana, I think you are correct - I just installed
 wget
http://mirror.symnds.com/software/Apache/incubator/spark/spark-0.9.0-incubating/spark-0.9.0-incubating-bin-cdh4.tgz
and indeed I see the same error that you see

It looks like in previous versions sbt-launch used to just come down
in the package, but now they try to get it for you -- and that code
seems to have some assumptions on where it is being invoked from