Spark SQL is already available, the reason for the "alpha component" label is
that we are still tweaking some of the APIs so we have not yet guaranteed API
stability for it. However, that is likely to happen soon (possibly 1.3). One of
the major things added in Spark 1.2 was an external data sources API
(https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/2475), so we wanted to get a bit of
feedback on that to provide a stable API for those as well.

Matei