Yes sure Sandy, I've checked the logs and it's not a OOM issue. I've
actually been able to solve the problem finally, and it seems to be an
issue with too many partitions. The repartitioning I tried initially did so
after the union, and then it's too late. By repartitioning as early as
possible, and significantly reducing number of partitions (going from
100,000+ to ~6,000 partitions), the job succeeds and no more "Error
communicating with MapOutputTracker" issues. Seems like an issue with
handling too many partitions and executors as the same time.

Would be awesome with an "auto-repartition" function, that checks sizes of
existing partitions and compares with the HDFS block size. If too small (or
too large), it would repartition to partition sizes similar to the block
size...

Hope this help others with similar issues.

Best,
Anders