Hi Jon, I am looking for an answer for a similar question in the doc now, so
far no clue.

I would need to know what is spark behaviour in a situation like the example
you provided, but taking into account also that there are multiple
partitions/workers.

I could imagine it's possible that different spark workers are not
synchronized in terms of waiting for each other to progress to the next
step/stage for the partitions of data they get assigned, while I believe in
streaming they would wait for the current batch to complete before they
start working on a new one.

In the code I am working on, I need to make sure a particular step is
completed (in all workers, for all partitions) before next transformation is
applied.

Would be great if someone could clarify or point to these issues in the doc!
:-)