>From the OP:

(1) val lines = Import full dataset using sc.textFile
(2) val ABonly = Filter out all rows from "lines" that are not of type A or B
(3) val processA = Process only the A rows from ABonly
(4) val processB = Process only the B rows from ABonly

I assume that 3 and 4 are actions, or else nothing happens here at all.

When 3 is invoked, it will compute 1, then 2, then 3. 4 will happen
after 3, and may even cause 1 and 2 to happen again if nothing is
persisted.

You can invoke 3 and 4 in parallel on the driver if you like. That's
fine. But actions are blocking in the driver.