From: "Denny Lee" <denny.g....@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎22/‎02/‎2015 17:56
To: "Ashic Mahtab" <as...@live.com>; "Francisco Orchard" <forch...@gmail.com>;
"Apache Spark" <user@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Spark SQL odbc on Windows

Back to thrift, there was an earlier thread on this topic at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spark-user/201411.mbox/%3CCABPQxsvXA-ROPeXN=wjcev_n9gv-drqxujukbp_goutvnyx...@mail.gmail.com%3E
 that may be useful as well.

On Sun Feb 22 2015 at 8:42:29 AM Denny Lee <denny.g....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Francisco,

Out of curiosity - why ROLAP mode using multi-dimensional mode (vs tabular)
from SSAS to Spark? As a past SSAS guy you've definitely piqued my interest.

The one thing that you may run into is that the SQL generated by SSAS can be
quite convoluted. When we were doing the same thing to try to get SSAS to
connect to Hive (ref paper at
http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/2/0/D20E1C5F-72EA-4505-9F26-FEF9550EFD44/MOLAP2HIVE_KLOUT.docx)
 that was definitely a blocker. Note that Spark SQL is different than HIVEQL
but you may run into the same issue. If so, the trick you may want to use is
similar to the paper - use a SQL Server linked server connection and have SQL
Server be your "translator" for the SQL generated by SSAS.

HTH!
Denny