Hi,

tl;dr At the moment (with a BIG disclaimer *) elastic scaling of spark
streaming processes is not supported.

*Longer version.*

I assume that you are talking about Spark Streaming as the discussion is
about handing Kafka streaming data.

Then you have two things to consider: the Streaming receivers and the Spark
processing cluster.

Currently, the receiving topology is static. One receiver is allocated with
each DStream instantiated and it will use 1 core in the cluster. Once the
StreamingContext is started, this topology cannot be changed, therefore the
number of Kafka receivers is fixed for the lifetime of your DStream.
What we do is to calculate the cluster capacity and use that as a fixed
upper bound (with a margin) for the receiver throughput.

There's work in progress to add a reactive model to the receiver, where
backpressure can be applied to handle overload conditions. See

Once the data is received, it will be processed in a 'classical' Spark
pipeline, so previous posts on spark resource scheduling might apply.

Regarding metrics, the standard metrics subsystem of spark will report
streaming job performance. Check the driver's metrics endpoint to peruse
the available metrics:

<driver>:<ui-port>/metrics/json

-kr, Gerard.

(*) Spark is a project that moves so fast that statements might be
invalidated by new work every minute.