raja! I found the answer to your question!
Look at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34069282/how-to-query-json-data-column-using-spark-dataframes
this is what you (and I) was looking for.
general idea - you read the list as text where project Details is just a
string field and then you build the JSON string representation of the whole
line and you have a nested JSON schema which SparkSQL can read.

Eran