Hi

I am using a shared sparkContext for all of my Spark jobs. Some of the jobs
use HiveContext, but there isn't a getOrCreate method on HiveContext which
will allow reuse of an existing HiveContext. Such a method exists on
SQLContext only (def getOrCreate(sparkContext: SparkContext): SQLContext).

Is there any reason that a HiveContext cannot be shared amongst multiple
threads within the same Spark driver process?

In addition I cannot seem to be able to cast a HiveContext to a SQLContext,
but this works fine in the spark shell, I am doing something wrong here?

scala> sqlContext

res19: org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext =
org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveContext@383b3357

scala> import org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext

import org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext

scala> SQLContext.getOrCreate(sc)

res18: org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext =
org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveContext@383b3357

Regards
Deenar