I think this is a religious question ;-)
Java is often underestimated, because people are not aware of its lambda
functionality which makes the code very readable. Scala - it depends who
programs it. People coming with the normal Java background write Java-like code
in scala which might not be so good. People from a functional background write
it more functional like - i.e. You have a lot of things in one line of code
which can be a curse even for other functional programmers, especially if the
application is distributed as in the case of Spark. Usually no comment is
provided and you have - even as a functional programmer - to do a lot of drill
down. Python is somehow similar, but since it has no connection with Java you
do not have these extremes. There it depends more on the community (e.g.
Medical, financials) and skills of people how the code look likes.
However the difficulty comes with the distributed applications behind Spark
which may have unforeseen side effects if the users do not know this, ie if
they have never been used to parallel programming.