Mich,

We use Scala for a large project.  On our team we've set a few standards to
ensure readability (we try to avoid excessive use of tuples, use named
functions, etc.)  Given these constraints, I find Scala to be very
readable, and far easier to use than Java.  The Lambda functionality of
Java provides a lot of similar features, but the amount of typing required
to set down a small function is excessive at best!

Regards,

Bryan Jeffrey