SparkLauncher operates at a different layer than Spark applications.
It doesn't know about executors or driver or anything, just whether
the Spark application was started or not. So it doesn't work for your
case.

The best option for your case is to install a SparkListener and
monitor events. But that will not tell you when things do not happen,
just when they do happen, so maybe even that is not enough for you.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 1:06 AM, bsikander <behro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I tried to use SparkAppHandle.Listener with SparkLauncher as you
> suggested. The behavior of Launcher is not what I expected.
>
> 1- If I start the job (using SparkLauncher) and my Spark cluster has enough
> cores available, I receive events in my class extending
> SparkAppHandle.Listener and I see the status getting changed from
> UNKOWN->CONNECTED -> SUBMITTED -> RUNNING. All good here.
>
> 2- If my Spark cluster has cores only for my Driver process (running in
> cluster mode) but no cores for my executor, then I still receive the RUNNING
> event. I was expecting something else since my executor has no cores and
> Master UI shows WAITING state for executors, listener should respond with
> SUBMITTED state instead of RUNNING.
>
> 3- If my Spark cluster has no cores for even the driver process then
> SparkLauncher invokes no events at all. The state stays in UNKNOWN. I would
> have expected it to be in SUBMITTED state atleast.
>
> *Is there any way with which I can reliably get the WAITING state of job?*
> Driver=RUNNING, executor=RUNNING, overall state should be RUNNING
> Driver=RUNNING, executor=WAITING overall state should be SUBMITTED/WAITING
> Driver=WAITING, executor=WAITING overall state should be
> CONNECTED/SUBMITTED/WAITING

Marcelo