Hi Marco,

IMHO RDD is only for very sophisticated use cases that very few Spark devs
would be capable of. I consider RDD API a sort of Spark assembler and most
Spark devs should stick to Dataset API.

Speaking of HBase, see
https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/java-docs-samples/tree/master/bigtable/spark
where you can find a demo that I worked on last year and made sure that:

"Apache HBase™ Spark Connector implements the DataSource API for Apache
HBase and allows executing relational queries on data stored in Cloud
Bigtable."

That makes hbase-rdd even more obsolete but not necessarily unusable (I am
little skilled in the HBase space to comment on this).

I think you should consider merging the project hbase-rdd of yours with the
official Apache HBase™ Spark Connector at
https://github.com/apache/hbase-connectors/tree/master/spark (as they seem
to lack active development IMHO).

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski