I'm terribly sorry, Mich. That was my mistake.
The timestamps are not the same (I copy&pasted without realizing that, I'm
really sorry for the confusion)

Please assume NONE of the following transactions are in the database yet

*transactions-created:*
{ "transaction_id": 1, "amount":  1000, "timestamp": "2020-04-04 11:01:00"
}
{ "transaction_id": 2, "amount":  2000, "timestamp": "2020-04-04
08:02:00" }

*transactions-processed: *
{ "transaction_id": 1, "timestamp": "2020-04-04 11:03:00" }     // so it's
processed 2 minutes after it was created
{ "transaction_id": 2, "timestamp": "2020-04-04 12:02:00" }     // so it's
processed 4 hours after it was created
{ "transaction_id": 3, "timestamp": "2020-04-04 13:03:00" }    // cannot be
persisted into the DB yet, because this "transaction_id 3" with the status
"CREATED" does NOT exist in the DB

*(...) Transactions-created are created at the same time (the same
> timestamp) but you have NOT received them and they don't yet exist in your
> DB (...)*

- Not at the same timestamp, that was my mistake.
- Imagine two transactions with the same ID (neither of them are in any
Kafka topic yet),

   - One with the status CREATED, and another with the status PROCESSED,
   - The one with the status PROCESSED will ALWAYS have a higher/greater
   timestamp than the one with the status CREATED
   - Now for whatever reason, this happens:
      - Step a) some producer *fails* to push the *created* one to the
      topic  *transactions-created, it will RETRY, and will eventually
      succeed, but that can take minutes, or hours*
      - Step b) however, the producer *succeeds* in pushing the*
      'processed' *one to the topic *transactions-processed *

*(...) because presumably your relational database is too slow to ingest
> them? (...)*

- it's not like the DB was slow, it was because the message for
transaction_id 3 didn't arrive at the *topic-created *yet, due to some
error/failure in Step A, for example

* you do a query in Postgres for say transaction_id 3 but they don't exist
> yet? When are they expected to arrive?*

- That's correct. It could take minutes, maybe hours. But it is guaranteed
that at some point, in the future, they will arrive. I just have to keep
trying until it works, this transaction_id 3 with the status CREATED
arrives at the database

Huge apologies for the confusion... Is it a bit more clear now?

*PS:* This is a simplified scenario, in practise, there is yet another
topic for "transactions-refunded". But which cannot be sinked to the DB,
unless the same transaction_id with the status "PROCESSED" is there. (but
again, there can only be a transaction_id PROCESSED, if the same
transaction_id with CREATED exists in the DB)