Hi there,

The problem is that countByValue happens in only a single reduce task -- this
is probably something we should fix but it's basically not designed for lots of
values. Instead, do the count in parallel as follows:

val counts = mapped.map(str => (str, 1)).reduceByKey((a, b) => a + b)

If this still has trouble, you can also increase the level of parallelism of
reduceByKey by passing it a second parameter for the number of tasks (e.g. 100).

BTW one other small thing with your code, flatMap should actually work fine if
your function returns an Iterator to Traversable, so there's no need to call
toList and return a Seq in ngrams; you can just return an Iterator[String].

Matei