Hello,

We are using Storm as a core component of a large-scale document
processing/analysis system. We have been developing this for a while now,
starting with Storm 0.8 (I think). We are currently using Storm 0.10.0 and were
hoping to upgrade to 1.0.1 (as the release notes indicate that some of the
changes will potentially improve performance).

Unfortunately, the new version does not run in our development environments as
it now requires the ability to create symbolic links. The documentation at
https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/docs/windows-users-guide.md
indicates that this can be made to work by either running as an administrator
or by changing a group policy setting. However, neither of these approaches is
possible in our case, since we are working in a relatively locked-down
environment. Running as an administrator is definitely not an appropriate
workaround - not all our developers have administrator access (and even if they
did, I would be very hesitant to advise them to run things as administrator).

Our development process also means that we regularly stop, wipe out and restart
the cluster, so we can't just run the supervisor once as a different user with
the relevant permissions. Our intention is that things work out of the box (ie,
unzip and run a script to get a working system) without needing to set up
certain processes to be run separately.

For added complication, the product that my team produces is then taken by
consulting teams and potentially customized for each client. This work often
happens on client sites, where being able to run as an administrator or change
group policies is even less likely. In this scenario, simply being able to
unpack a complete development environment with minimal requirements on the
system is critical.

All that said, is there any other way of getting newer versions of Storm to
work on Windows without needing to either run as an administrator or make group
policy changes? Since we started our development on earlier versions, we are
not making any direct use of the functionality that this supports (we don't
need to share filesystem resources between workers, since all our shared state
is being kept in a database). Is there any way to disable the symlink creation,
or have it fall back to just copying data instead?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Milliken
Please consider the environment before printing this email. This message should
be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please
notify the sender and destroy it immediately. Statements of intent shall only
become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory. The
contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies under the
control of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited, details of which can be
found at http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses/index.htm.