I do not know how these mechanisms you mentioned (SQS, S3 and database),
but Kafka is recommended to set the parallelism hit number according to the
amount of Kafka partitions <https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/>. The
number of parallelism hit there is in addition to the amount of Kafka
partitions the executors have become idle.
I have seen recommendations in hortonworks <http://hortonworks.com/blog/>
that the number of executors does not exceed the number of cores.

--
Thomas Cristanis