Thanks for the response but having spent a couple of days on it, I still
have no clue what is wrong. I tried tweaking the max spout pending but
didn't look like that helped. I think it is related to storm's state
management feature. I am mostly seeing this issue occur when one of the
workers of the stateful topology gets killed and restarts itself. As soon
as that happens both checkpoint spout and kafka spout stop emitting and
only this gets printed in the logs repeatedly -

o.a.s.k.DynamicBrokersReader [INFO] Read partition info from zookeeper:
GlobalPartitionInformation
o.a.s.k.KafkaUtils [INFO] Task [id] assigned
o.a.s.k.ZkCoordinator [INFO] Task [id] Deleted partition managers: []
o.a.s.k.ZkCoordinator [INFO] Task [id] New partition managers: []
o.a.s.k.ZkCoordinator [INFO] Task [id] Finished refreshing

The bolts don't even receive tick tuples let alone any data from kafka once
the topology hangs.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

--
Abhishek