Right, its trying to read your kafka messages and parse as JSON.  See the
error:

simplejson.scanner.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char
0)

If you want to use the BrightTag branch, you'll need to go a couple commits
back. Try this:

git clone https://github.com/BrightTag/stormkafkamon
git checkout 07eede9ec72329fe2cad893d087541b583e11148

-Cody

--
Cody A. Ray, LEED AP
cody.a....@gmail.com