We decided to start with topology definitions in Clojure because a) that
ensures that the topologies can support 100% of Storm's Clojure DSL
out-of-the-box and b) that allows easy mixing of Python, Java, Clojure, and
even other multi-lang bolts. For example, we plan on producing example
topologies that use Python bolts for processing, but use the built-in JVM
Kafka spout as a performant data integration option.

Above and beyond a nice bundling of the Clojure DSL provided with Storm,
streamparse provides:

i) *sparse*, a command-line tool that can quickstart a Storm project; run local
Storm clusters (using LocalCluster under the hood) in a single command;
manage virtualenvs on remote worker machines; submit topologies to remote
Nimbus nodes via SSH tunneling; list and kill topologies using the same;
tail remote log files across a cluster of Storm worker machines. So, in
short -- it provides a *whole lot* and it's still in very early releases.
It provides for a rapid development cycle that Pythonistas are used to when
using technologies like Storm. It makes Storm feel as lightweight as
something like RQ or Celery.

ii) An actively-developed *roadmap*. Planned future features include remote
debugging of crashed Storm bolts using pdb-over-a-socket; visualization
tools for Storm topologies; and higher-level Bolt patterns, such as a
BatchingBolt we have been using at Parse.ly that allows for simple time-
and data-based batching patterns with proper ack/fail semantics abstracted.

iii) The Python *streamparse *package, which is an improved multi-lang
layer that has better support for logging and exception/error handling. It
was rewritten from scratch but modeled on Storm's bundled storm.py to
implement the basics of IPC. In the future, it might also support
serializations beyond plain JSON.

I'm personally of the opinion that writing DSLs for Storm topologies in
languages other than Clojure is a bit of a rabbit hole. Doable -- but may
not be worth it, and the pro's of topologies defined in Clojure outweigh
the con's. But I can understand a widespread distaste for Clojure and even
"multi-language" projects as a concept.

We'd gladly accept contributions for a (simple) Python DSL that maps down
to Clojure's DSL. I think trying to build a "native" DSL using the Thrift
structures ends up with a lot of complexity for little gain. If you're
interested in that sort of thing, some other projects have been floating
around that attempt it -- but if you want my opinion, you're in for a world
of pain :)