+dev@

Dependency conflicts can often be an issue when upgrading. Unfortunately we
have no way to predict dependencies of user code. But there are ways to
minimize it, so reports like this one are very useful (given a little more
information about dependency versions).

Andrey, would you mind opening a JIRA ticket for this, and detail the versions
involved?

Fixing this should just be a matter of shading Storm's Netty dependency.

Mike, the safest way to upgrade, if possible, is to undeploy all topologies,
clear local state, and redeploy. Obviously it is critical to test this out in a
pre-prod environment. Another option is to do a "warm swap" between clusters
running different versions, but attached to the same data source. You basically
pause one, let it drain, and activate the other. You would need the
infrastructure to do this, however.

A lot of it depends on your data source and whether or not it can reliably
handle pending messages during the upgrade.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Test a lot in as close a
facsimile of your prod environment as you can muster. And keep the relationship
between dev and ops something worthy of a Hallmark card. ;)

There is a lot of interest in rolling upgrades for Storm as well. I'll open up
JIRA tickets for both so we can track and discuss. We should at least provide
some documentation, FAQ, etc.

-Taylor