Hi Alec,

       Single node kafka cluster not recommended apart from
using it for development. I highly recommend using multinode
cluster and create a partitioned topic with replication. This
not only makes it optimal to take in more data at faster rates
also allows your cluster running if there is a node failure as
the topic is replicated there wouldn't be huge data loss.

" If I am using multiple-nodes, the tradeoff is the connection
time among different nodes?"

          kafka producer api sends a message to broker either
round-robin or based on partition function.

please go through the kafka docs
here [1]http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html for simple
consumer and also how the replication works among multiple
nodes.

-Harsha