I don't know the cause of this problem. I set up the datasource
inforamtion in both Tomcat's server.xml and the application
specific web.xml rather than in struts-config.xml, and I have no
problem.

The regarding part in the server.xml:

                   <Resource name="jdbc/LocalNesSQLServer" scope="Shareable"
                        type="javax.sql.DataSource" auth="Container"
                        description="The Nes SQLServer Database residing on
machine, 192.168.8.136">
                    </Resource>
                    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/LocalNesSQLServer">
                        <parameter>
                            <name>driverClassName</name>

<value>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <parameter>
                            <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=nes;SelectMeth
od=cursor</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <parameter>
                            <name>username</name>
                            <value>nesuser</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <parameter>
                            <name>password</name>
                            <value>password</value>
                        </parameter>
                        <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make
sure you
                             configure your DB max_connections large enough
to handle
                             all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no
limit.
                             -->
                        <parameter>
                            <name>maxActive</name>
                            <value>100</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain
in pool.
                             Set to 0 for no limit.
                             -->
                        <parameter>
                            <name>maxIdle</name>
                            <value>30</value>
                        </parameter>
                    </ResourceParams>

The conserning part in my web.xml:

    <resource-ref>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/LocalNesSQLServer</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

Alternatively, please read http://lin.kz/?b6v00

Best,

Xuemin

> Am Dienstag, 20. April 2004 08:53 schrieb Xuemin Guan:
> > Tomcat (5.0.19) comes together with commons-pool-1.1.jar, which
> > is under CALINA_HOME/common/lib. This directory is both seen
> > by container and you web applications. So, I guess the problem is not
> > cause by the lack of commons-pool-1.1.jar. Am I missing anything here?
>
> Exactly, commons-pool-1.1.jar as well as commons-dbcp-1.1.jar are located
in
> CATALINE_HOME/common/lib and I added them as external JARs to the build
path
> of the project. So I guess it should be found by the application.
>
> Is there a way to get a more detailed information about what's going wrong
> during startup? The displayed message
>
> StandardContext[/demo_03]Servlet /demo_03 threw load() exception
> javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Initializing application data source
> local_01
>         at

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModuleDataSources(ActionServlet.j
ava:1091)
>         at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:472)