Thanks Craig, that was helpful to understand.

sandeep

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 3:13 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: newbie struts-el best practices question

Takhar, Sandeep wrote:

>Where does Struts-Faces fit into this picture?

To answer this, it's helpful to understand the core value that JSF
brings to the table ... the ability for the world to provide a rich set
of UI components, and the ability to use components from different
libraries in the same application (because they all conform to the
standard component APIs defined by JSF).

So, from a Struts perspective, there are two particular use cases where
the struts-faces integration library becomes useful:

* You have an existing Struts based application, and want to
  update the UI to leverage JSF components.  The struts-faces
  library enables you to migrate your pages, one page at a time,
  to use JSF on the pages you need it -- all without modifying
  the existing back end code.

* You want to create a new Struts based application, but need
  Struts specific features like Tiles or the Validator framework.
  It is quite feasible to build new pages from scratch using the
  JSF components, and build the back end with Struts the way
  you would with the pure Struts HTML tags.

If you're starting a new application, and don't need Tiles or Validator,
you should evaluate whether JSF by itself provides enough functionality
by itself (if it does, using fewer different packages means less to
learn) ... but there's nothing wrong with using them together.

>It is getting quite complicated to make decisions now.

Yep.  But I'd rather have too many choices than too few :-).

>sandeep

Craig