As far as i understand, all of the app must be deployed in the same war
file:  I dont think an app can be split between war files (please correct me
if i'm wrong here!).

If you can split an app, then i doubt struts would be bothered.

With our webapps we make use of cvs, and for deployment checkout the whole
thing, and build it, deploy it, restart app server all automatically.

Note also that you dont have to package a webapp using a war file... i dont
Just copying the directory strusture into a folder in webapps is certainly
much easier for development.

Daniel.