Sounds like a good idea. I suggest that you look into using something like ibatis to handle the caching for you, and it definately won't take you a week to implement, even with the learning curve of ibatis.

Riyad Kalla wrote:

Mike,
Good suggestions. I was dealing with something like this recently and decided that for me, adding caching at the DAO level:

e.g. List userList = UserDAO.getAllUsers();

would offer the biggest performance benefit since it would be:

(a) application wide, instead of per session
(b) returned Lists are 4-byte pointers to the actual list object cached in the DAO
(c) The DAO itself handles all manipulation of those types, so it knows when to invalid its own cache (on inserts/updates/removes)

What do people think about this strategy? (Before I spend a week implementing it :)

Best,
Riyad