I think struts' concept of separating your actions from your data is admirable and should be followed. The concept of your value/transfer objects (basically the form) also having business logic sounds acceptable at first but rapidly becomes a nightmare when you try to use the same value/transfer objects in multiple processes.

I think it's a generally accepted practice that separating data from logic is a "Good Thing"(tm).

BAL

From: "Hookom, Jacob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Theoretical debate
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:57:31 -0500

I completely agree with what Crysalis is trying to push, also a framework
called VRaptor (vraptor.org) also pushes the same idea of moving away from
the procedural weight that Struts promotes.

Look at JSF, do you have actions? No, JSF just updates your POJO beans and
calls methods on them.  Why have an ActionForm or have to create all of
these Actions that are simply getter/setter adapters?  Please don't be too
quick to retort to my supposed anti-struts mindset, but there are other
frameworks out there that allow direct interaction with my business objects
and don't require a heck of a lot of framework specific coding.

---

Example:
To have a multi-page form with JSF, I just create a bean that sits in
Session scope that has a series of getters and setters. JSF will also allow
me to pre-set relationships to other objects at creation time. Then, when
I'm ready to submit the multi-page form, I just put in the jsp
#{myFormBean.submit}. No action mappings, only a managed bean entry.

With Struts, I have to create an ActionForm objects (can't just use a
business object I already have), and then create separate Action objects to
manipulate that ActionForm.

---

-Jacob Hookom