I don't know the answer to your specific question, as I think it involves some
industrial strength statistical math. But ... I'll tell you what we did.

Our application needed to be load tested to ensure performance within certain times at
up to 50 users. (We actually tested to 100 users, just for grins ... load testing is
fun :-)

We created a functional test using HttpUnit and JUnit to represent our primary
usecase. Ours is a control system and this usecase was time critical, while the other
usecases were deemed not time critical, so we just load tested with the one usecase.
Then, using JUnitPerf, by the wonderful and talented Mike Clark
(http://www.clarkware.com/), we drove the test at up to 100 simultaneous users, each
running a number of the functional tests back to back (25 to 50 times per simulated
user).

This created a worse case load test (think slashdot effect :-). Personally, I liked
this, as I wanted to know when the application would run out out of steam. Obviously
this test is unrealistic, but it did give us plenty of confidence that we could handle
anything that was expected to be thrown at us.

So, in your situation, I would create functional tests that represented the most
common and most time critical usecases for your system. Then open the flood gates and
send a tidal wave of traffic against the system. I'm sure that realistically simulated
usage is wonderful, but for the rest of us, just hammer the system until it begs for
mercy and then you'll know what it can take. :-)

Simon