Thanks for replies,

We are using Loadrunner to create load. As dennis suggested, I'm going to analyze
wating time for a 'real' user to get
an avarage request/second/user.

Nico.

> I don't know the answer to your specific question, as I think it involves some
> industrial strength statistical math.
But ... I'll tell you what we did.

> Our application needed to be load tested to ensure performance within certain times
> at up to 50 users. (We actually
tested to 100 users, just for grins ... load testing is fun :-)

> We created a functional test using HttpUnit and JUnit to represent our primary
> usecase. Ours is a control system and
this usecase was time critical, while the other usecases were deemed not time
critical, so we just load tested with the
one usecase. Then, using JUnitPerf, by the wonderful and talented Mike Clark
(http://www.clarkware.com/), we drove the
test at up to 100 simultaneous users, each running a number of the functional tests
back to back (25 to 50 times per
simulated user).

> This created a worse case load test (think slashdot effect :-). Personally, I liked
> this, as I wanted to know when the
application would run out out of steam. Obviously this test is unrealistic, but it did
give us plenty of confidence that
we could handle anything that was expected to be thrown at us.

> So, in your situation, I would create functional tests that represented the most
> common and most time critical
usecases for your system. Then open the flood gates and send a tidal wave of traffic
against the system. I'm sure that
realistically simulated usage is wonderful, but for the rest of us, just hammer the
system until it begs for mercy and
then you'll know what it can take. :-)