man, 19.07.2004 kl. 14.58 skrev Emmanouil Batsis:
> There this system property you can set but I can't remember it, it's
> used as the encoding to use when reading files...
>
> Anyway, I always edit my  .jsp and .properties using UTF-8, then pass
> them through the native2ascii ant task during my build. It's just a
> wrapper for the same-named JDK binary; you can use that directly if you
> dont use Ant. Works great.

Yes, I know. I am using that one for my resource files. But In my
opinion, it should not be necessary to convert the encoding for that
file(s) either. Somewhere behind the scenes there is a
java.util.Properties class used, and that class assumes iso-8859-1.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#encoding

Encodings should be as transparent as possible, not the assumptions of
some developers.

Since I am developing and deploying on utf-8 encoding platforms,
everything should be smooth, but it is not.

I discovered that Struts use iso-8859-1 as default (same as
java.util.Properties), and in order to override this setting I have to
put a <% @page ... %> directive on every jsp.

Ant can really native2ascii'ify all of this, but what about the one who
have to administer this mess?

When I am on my way to the next job, and they find a misspelling or they
have to change some stuff in either the jsp or a resource file lokking
like this (arbitrary Norwegian text):
Sp\u00f8rsm\u00e5lsgruppen slettet, tilh\u00f8rende sp\u00f8rms\u00e5l
eksisterer fortsatt

I wish encodings were as simple as they could be (everyone used utf-8)
;-)

--
Olve SÃther Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Intermedia/Aksis - Unifob AS