At 12:57 PM 8/10/2004, you wrote:
From: "Michael McGrady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There is no project that is "just servlets" unless it is nuts.

It is *entirely* possible that there are webapps still running out there
that are done completely with Servlets.  No JSP, no Struts, nothing but
(IIRC) out.println( "bunch of html here");

Struts did not always exist, and since JSP's get compiled into Servlet code,
they had to come after Servlets, indicating that there was a point in time
when there were only Servlets.  Even if the Servlet & JSP specs came out
together, it's entirely possible that the original author was more
comfortable writing straight Java and avoided JSP for that or some other
reason.

Someone who came straight to Struts would not necessarily have a clue about
mapping Servlets in web.xml, or getting parameters directly from the
request, etc.  Yes, Struts is based on Servlets, but you don't have to know
anything about Servlets to make a useful Struts webapp.

To the OP, if no one has yet suggested it, Jason Hunter's "Java Servlet
Programming" book is getting dated (perhaps there is a new edition now?) but
is a good reference.

--
Wendy Smoak

A webapp completely in servlets? No helper classes? No decoupling from Servlets at all? I doubt it! But, if so, it is nuts, as I said, and certainly not the question here. I assume that he would like to do something that does not resemble the stone age.

Michael