imo this is true, a beginner can build a simple web app using Struts
(without any prior servlet experience)

i am living proof, as i started with Struts directly.

HOWEVER, because real-world apps are never basic/simple, and because
Struts is really a facade on top of the java-based web app paradigm, i
struggled through building apps..

knowing how to build and make a java-based web app WITHOUT using Struts
helps A TONNE (sp?) in making Struts apps... but the reverse is NOT
true

Denis, take this as a learning step 'missed' that should have been done
before learning Struts.  i wish i had.  i had NO understanding of
anything, no basic understanding of the stateless web model, didn't
know what the heck POST/GET was, didn't know all this fundamental
stuff, everything worked mysteriously...

because sooner or later, you will run into a situation that you can't
quite figure how to do it in Struts, and necessitates the need to use
'old school' methods like request.getParameter(), or whatever.

Struts is great, but it also hides a lot of plumbing that if you're not
aware, can make life difficult to understand/accomplish what you need
to do