Janne Mattila wrote:

You seem to like parsing HttpServletRequests manually, so why don't you skip Struts altogether and parse all request parameters manually? I bet it would be "clear, extensible, light, fast, loosely coupled solution". Hell, who needs ActionForms after all? They make your solution tightly coupled to Struts!

The forms are meant to mine values. They are not meant to supplant business logic. The question is not about "manual" parsing. The question is when and how to parse. Parsing is parsing -- is "manual" of necessity. There is a difference between "manual" and "hard coding".

ActionForms are not tightly coupled to Struts. They are Struts. I for one am a great advocate of Struts and believe in fact that in the end it will be preferred to JSF by a long shot. Still, loose coupling is a primary goal of Struts, not the opposite. I am not sure why you prefer your solution. I cannot see a single advantage in practice to it. But, as I said, c'est la vie!

Michael