In order to keep the actual entries that the user typed in (so they
don't have to retype everything if they changed a bunch of things) I
usually put the entire form and errors into request if there are
errors.

Then you need to make sure that your  populate action checks for
presence of the form in request and overrides the DB entries with the
ones in the form.