Craig McClanahan wrote:

I can then
call a private setUp() method in my Action that is used to set up my
form with any other request attributes that should always be there.

I'm curious why using the input parameter doesn't work for you?

Indeed ... the feature is working as it was designed, based on
application user expectations that, if errors occur, whatever they
typed in is redisplayed (even if it is wrong) so that it can be
corrected.  That's the way that any rich GUI client works, and nobody
wants to use apps that force you to fill an entire form in again
simply because you made one mistake.

I'm sorry I should have qualified.... I didn't mean setUp "my form" but set up things "on the resulting JSP that I forward to" - for example drop down lists etc. I never repopulate the form inputs and ActionForm fields.. those stay populated fine... but Leandro's original question was about objects that he was sticking in request scope with request.setAttribute( ..) (not ActionForm properties). My point was that those Request objects that a JSP might always need to have populated on the page will be lost if you do form validation the conventional struts way. Using Session or Application scope is not always the best place to place Objects that a JSP might need, so when validation fails you need a way to sometimes replace these objects - hence I call validate() manually and use a setUp() method used to populate the Request with objects my resulting JSP should have.

--
Rick