David,
  But i want to make a business layer and call the DAO from there.  I
think that the links that you have sent me couple presentation layer and
database tightly. I know i can use EJB for presentation layer but I dont
want that as it would be overkill for the small project I am working on.
I want to have a connection pool class initialized at the time the
server starts and then all my DAO  should get the connection from that
pool. Is it possible?
  I am a beginner in this field and I might not understand it
completely. please correct me if i am wrong.
regards
saurabh